If you are thinking about how to put air in bike tires, this is an article that you should read. In the rest of this post, we will provide you with insights on how this can be done properly, which should depend on the type of tire that you have in your car. Before ending, we will also share with you some of the things that you can do to make sure that your tire is well-maintained.
Before we proceed with the discussion on how to air your bikeÔÇÖs tires, let us first take a quick look at why it is important. It is paramount to make sure that it has the right amount of pressure in order to make you safe and comfortable while you are on the road. Keep in mind that external factors, such as the extent of use, temperature, and conditions of the ground, will have an effect on air pressure. With this, always make sure that the pressure is right.
How To Put Air In Bike Tires
Generally speaking, there are three ways by which it can be done, each will be further discussed in the rest of this section.
Schrader Valve: Also known as car or American valve, it has a stem that is surrounded with a threaded core. Pressure through thumb or a pen cap will be needed. Compared to other types of valve, it is usually wider. To air a bike tire with such valve, here are the things that you should do:
- Open the valve by unscrewing the cover on the top.
- Know the PSI that is recommended by the manufacturer, which will help you determine the amount of air that is needed. This will be usually on a large imprint on the side of the tire. See to it that the pressure will not be lower than what is recommended.
- Get your pump ready. For a Schrader valve, you can use the pumps that are found in gas stations without the need to use an adapter.
- Once the pump is ready, it is now time to start pumping the tire. Simply attach the pump on the valve. In some instances, the nozzle will have a lever, so make sure that it is opened. Once you have pumped more than enough air, close the valve with the tip you have earlier removed. It is now time to use your bike.
Presta Valve: Also known as French or Sclaverand valve, this is usually found in expensive road bikes. Compared to Schrader, it is narrower and longer. It has a valve cap, unlike the earlier mentioned, which has a valve core surrounding it. Here are the things that you should do to inflate a tire with this kind of valve:
- Unscrew the cap and have it kept in a safe place. Next, take off the small cap that can be found on the end of the stem. It will not be completely removed, but it should be at least raised. Press on the top and if you can hear air passing through, this is an indication that it is raised enough.
- As usual, take a look at the PSI that is recommended by the manufacturer. Have it aired with a pump. You will need an adapter if you are going to have it pumped from a gas station. Put the pump on the nozzle and start with the inflation. Remove the pump, press the cap down and put on the cover. By now, your bike is ready for your next ride.
Wood Valve: Also known as English or Dunlop valve, it looks like Schrader valve, but the mechanism by which it works is comparable to Presta. With this, to have it inflated, refer to the steps that have been mentioned for Presta Valve.
Taking Care of your Tires
Aside from knowing how to put air in bike tires, another thing that is important is to know how you can take care of it. This will make sure that it will stay inflated and it will be functional for a longer span of time.
- Regular inspection is necessary. Pay attention to the obvious signs of wear and tear. You should also know when a replacement is needed.
- Always be wary of the surface where you are biking. If it is rough and uneven, you have a good reason to be more conscious about checking your tires often.
- Inflate it only based on the recommended pressure from the manufacturer. It should never be lower than such as this can compromise the performance of your bike. Keep in mind that if it is overinflated, you can feel shock and pressure from the ground, making it compromise comfort.
- Look for puncture-resistant tires. This will make sure that it will last long and that it will not easily deflate because of getting in contact with sharp objects.