Speed ÔÇô this is one thing that is important for many bikers. Many of them would want to bike faster, but they are clueless about how such can be done. If you are one of those who are wondering about how to make a bike faster, keep on reading the rest of this post and we will be sharing some valuable insights with you. The first thing that you have to keep in mind is the fact that it is not just all about the bike. Yes, there are things that you can do to the bike to reduce its weight and to improve its speed. Nonetheless, there are also things that you can do to yourself, such as improve intensity, in order to bike faster. Hopefully, you will find the rest of this post helpful in more ways than one.
How To Make a Bike Faster
If you are interested in significantly improving the speed of the bike, these are just some of the things that you can do:
- Make sure that it is always clean: Here is a rule to live by ÔÇô a clean bike is a fast bike. The mud and the grime that have accumulated on the different parts of the bike will inevitably affect its performance, specifically it speed. Cleaning should be a part of your after-ride routine, making it easy to make sure of the optimal speed of the bike all the time.
- Keep it well-lubricated: After you have cleaned the bike, do not also forget to apply lube on the chain. This will make it cleaner and will prevent requiring too much effort on your end when you are pedaling. While rotating the crank, pour lube, but make sure that it is not too much. Wipe it dry before storing or using the bike.
- Optimize tire pressure: Generally speaking, if you want to bike faster, it is recommended that the tire pressure should be between 100 to 120 psi. However, you need to take a look at the specifications from the manufacturer with regards to the pressure that is recommended. If the tires are too soft, there will also be an increase in rolling resistance. This would mean that more effort will be required on your part to go at a decent speed.
- Adjust the saddle height: This is one tip that is simple and effective, yet it is also often overlooked by many people. If the saddle is not of the right height you can have difficulty in pedaling, and hence, this can make you go slower than your normal speed. Also, this can lead into injury and discomfort, which you would surely not want to happen.
- Reduce weight: It is common sense that if the bike is lighter, it will be faster. With this, another thing that you can do is to keep it as lightweight as possible. You should ditch the accessories or the components that wonÔÇÖt prove to be necessary. Mudguards, saddle bags, reflectors, and baskets are just some of the parts that you might want consider removing to improve the speed of your bike.
- Adjust your handlebars: Another thing that you can do is to adjust the handlebars by having it lowered, which will lead into the reduction of wind resistance and the improvement of speed.
Other Things That You Can Do
When it comes to how to make a bike faster, there are also things that you can do to yourself. Meaning, improving speed is not only all about improving your bike. Rather, it is also all about exerting conscious efforts through the following:
- Exercise regularly: If you are biking, complement it with a regular workout routine and your body will surely be in tip-top shape. This will make you fit and will allow you to lose weight, making it easier to pedal faster.
- Have a sports drink before every ride:┬áRather than just drinking water, liquid intake with carbohydrate is highly recommended in order to keep the muscles working properly and to minimize the possibility of being strained.
- Squeeze your muscles:┬áA growing body of research supports the assertion that a post-bike massage will be an effective way to reduce soreness of the muscle, making it easier to bike faster in your next ride.
- Know your rhythm: This might take quite some time, but can be highly-effective in improving your speed. If you know your rhythm, it will be easier for you to keep the right habit.
- Allow the legs to do the work: This means that you should also concentrate on exercises that will strengthen the legs, allowing it to power up your ride. Your upper body should be kept as still as possible.
Take supplements. This is another god way to help you make bike faster. Do not just take any supplement. Make sure that it has the ingredients that you will need, such as B vitamins, calcium, and magnesium, among others.