Do you have Smartwool socks? Are you thinking of how to wash Smartwool socks? Or maybe, are you interested in knowing how it is possible to take care of your Smartwool socks? If you have these questions, keep on reading and we will share with you some useful insights. By following the things that will be mentioned below, you can be sure that your wool socks will last longer, and more importantly, you can be confident that it will be hygienic. If it is not washed properly, it can be a breeding ground for bacteria, and hence, it can negatively affect the health of your feet.
HereÔÇÖs How to Wash Smartwool Socks
Being made from wool, it is important to observe proper care in handling the socks. It is a material that is sensitive and if it is not properly handled, it will easily deteriorate. If you want it to last longer, the following are some of the things that you should do when having it washed:
- Wash with Same Colors: Some people might think that socks are small, and hence, they can be washed with other colors. However, this is one thing that you should never do. Just like in the case of other common materials, it should be washed only with similar colors. It can possibly be stained or discolored when mixed with other colors, especially when the light ones are combined with those that are dark-colored.
- Do Not use a Dryer: After a wash cycle has been completed, let the socks dry naturally. Never put it in the dryer. The heat will cause the fibers to agitate, and hence, it can be destructive. This is going to lessen your sockÔÇÖs lifespan. This can also cause wool to shrink. You can just let it lie flat on a surface and allow it to air dry.
- Use Cold Water: Above, it has been mentioned that heat can have a negative impact on your wool socks. This is also the reason why it would be best to use cold water when having it washed.
- Wash it Manually: As much as possible, do not machine-wash wool socks. The machine can damage the quality of the wool. It would be best to have them hand-washed. After all, they are small, so it wonÔÇÖt be too much of a burden to have them washed by hand.
- Do Not use Chlorine: Like heat, chlorine can also damage the quality and appearance of your wool socks. If it is used excessively, this could be a reason for the wool fibers to be weak and to loosen. If there is a stain that should be removed, stay away from the use of chlorine. Rather, look for a bleach that is oxygen-based. This will do the job as effectively.
Other Tips in Taking care of Socks
Aside from knowing how to wash Smartwool socks, another thing that is important is for you to know how they are properly handled. With such, in this section, we will take a look at some of the things that you can do to take care of your wool socks.
One simple, yet an effective way to take care of your Smartwool socks is to make sure that your toenails are trimmed. Obviously, if it is long and sharp, wool will be easily damaged, contributing to its wear and tear.
It is also important to not iron socks. Who needs flat, well-ironed socks, anyway? Like it has been mentioned above, heat is going to be damaging for the socks, which is the main premise while ironing it should be avoided.
Proper storage is another thing that will influence the quality and longevity of your socks. This is especially true if you are going to keep it for an extended period. It would be best to lay it flat on the cabinet, which is an excellent way to retain its shape.
Do not overuse your socks. It is not meant to be worn every day. Make sure to do rotations with other socks. Wearing it frequently will inevitably speed up its wear and tear.
When storing wool socks, make sure that they have been cleaned and washed. If not, it can attract bacteria and pests. Also, do not store it folded or balled. Rather, you can just have it laid flat on the surface. Top it with similar socks. Do not put heavier materials on top as this can damage its quality and can cause it to be pressed too much.
In sum, Smartwool socks are impressive in terms of quality, but their longevity will be affected by a number of things, such as how they are washed and handled. With this, make sure to follow the things that have been mentioned above. For sure, your socks will last for a long time and will look almost as good as new.